Development Economics: Microeconomic Issues and Policy Models >> Content Detail



The syllabus PDF below includes the guidelines on this page plus a schedule of readings arranged by topic.
Syllabus (PDF)

This class contributes to the fulfillment of requirements for the development field for Economics Ph.D. students at both Harvard and MIT. People other than Economics Ph.D. students should consult with the instructors before enrolling.

The first two-thirds of the class will be taught jointly by Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo and the last one-third will be taught by Michael Kremer.

Problem sets will generally be handed out every other Wednesday and will be due one week later. The final exam will count for 70% of the grade, and the problem sets will account for the remaining 30%. The final exam will be held at the regular class meeting place and time. Class participation will also be considered in borderline cases.

Everyone is encouraged to attend the Development Seminar, which meets on Tuesdays for 1.5 hours at Harvard. When there is an out-of-town speaker, we normally take the speaker out to dinner, and we will try to save a couple of spots for graduate students each time.

Everyone is also encouraged to attend the Development Lunch. MIT's Development Lunch meets on Mondays. The Harvard Development Lunch meets on Wednesdays.

General Readings


Ray, Debraj. Development Economics. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1998. (Recommended)

Deaton, Angus. The Analysis of Household Surveys. Baltimore, MD: John Hopkins University Press, 1997. (Recommended)

Bardhan, Pranab, and Christopher Udry. Development Microeconomics. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1999.



© 2009-2020, All Rights Reserved.
Higher Ed Space ® is a registered trademark of AmeriCareers LLC.