Sponsored Links

Campus Resource : Other Campus Resources >> Libraries

  • Elizabethtown College Library
  • Elizabethtown College’s first library was housed on the second floor of Alpha Hall from 1900 until 1903, when it was moved
    to the building’s first floor. In 1910 the
    library was moved to Rider Hall, where
    in 1928 a reading room was added to
    expand the size of the library.

    By 1935 there was an effort by the Board
    of Trustees to build a new library, but the Great Depression scuttled those plans.
    During the World War II era, the College began the process of meeting requirements
    to pass the Middle States Association accreditation.



    Rider Hall Library in the 1920s

    One of the concerns to be addressed for accreditation was a stipulation the College needed to build a library commensurate
    with its educational goals and aspirations.
    A fund- raising effort was initiated, and on
    April 9, 1949, ground breaking began on
    the new library. At a cost of $160,000, the Zug Memorial Library was dedicated on October 20, 1950; named in honor of
    Samuel R. Zug, one of the founders of Elizabethtown College. The new facility
    had capacity for 50,000 volumes, even
    though in 1950 there were only 16,500 volumes in the collection.



    Zug Memorial Library in the 1950s

    It did not take too many years before Zug’s capacity was reached, and in 1965 a wing
    on each end of the library was added,
    thereby expanding the library’s capacity to 100,000 volumes for a student population
    of up to 1200.



    Zug Memorial Library under renovation in 1965

    In the mid-1980s, a capital campaign was begun under President Gerhard Spiegler’s leadership. One of the campaign’s goals
    was to raise enough funds to erect a new library. With the help of a generous gift from the High Foundation of Lancaster, the new library’s construction began on March 14, 1989, and the building dedication was on September 22, 1990. The new library was named in honor S. Dale High, a class of
    1963 graduate of Elizabethtown College.

    The High Library has a capacity to house 250,000 volumes and is equipped with conference rooms, study carrels and group study spaces. The main floor also contains
    a smart classroom for research instruction
    and student use.


  • More information can be found at:
    See more info >>
  • (0 votes)   Rate it    Report it   






Reviews (0)

Reviews Not Available






© 2009-2018 HigherEdSpace.com, All Rights Reserved.
Higher Ed Space ® is a registered trademark of AmeriCareers LLC.